Wednesday, September 19, 2007

I Hate Culvers

Especially the one up the street from us! Sure, the food is good, but they can't ever seem to get anything right! Paul went there tonight to get some onion rings to go with the last of the BBQ pork that I made from the pork roast I made this past weekend. He ordered two orders of onion rings and two large diets. As we were eating, Paul asked me if the drinks tasted like regular instead of diet. I thought something wasn't right, but I really couldn't tell. Now as I sit here finishing my drink, I realize it's not diet...as my head is starting swim from the sugar and I'm thirstier now than when I started drinking. The receipt says diet...but it's definitely not diet!

I have a question. Lets say I was a diabetic. I order a large diet pop and they give me a regular. I drink it and go into some sort of diabetic coma because I didn't know it wasn't diet and didn't give myself enough insulin. Can I sue Culvers?

Lucky for them I'm not diabetic. Paul is, though, and he don't need this sugar. Lucky for them he's not on insulin.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight, but that isn't the first time they have messed up! I could talk about the time Paul took his grilled ham and swiss on rye back because it was so "grilled" that it was practically black and the manager argued with him that rye bread is normally a darker bread. Where do they get these people?

Anyway...I saw this quiz on another blog tonight and thought it was interesting. My boss and I are very strict about grammar and punctuation when we proof and frequently hold meetings for the girls regarding correct grammar. I know they think we're slightly anal about it. Most of the doctors we work for wouldn't know a comma if it hit then in the forehead, so we make it our job to make them look good. (You would be surprised what you don't have to know to make it through medical school.) We take pride in the work that leaves our department.


You Scored an A

You got 10/10 questions correct.

It's pretty obvious that you don't make basic grammatical errors.
If anything, you're annoyed when people make simple mistakes on their blogs.
As far as people with bad grammar go, you know they're only human.
And it's humanity and its current condition that truly disturb you sometimes.


Have you ever seen the book Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference by Lynne Truss? It's cute picture book for ages 4-8. It's the kid's version of her bestseller Eats, Shoots & Leaves: A Zero Tolerance Guide to Punctuation. The title comes from the old joke about a panda that misunderstands correct panda behavior after reading a poorly punctuated wildlife guide. It goes like this:
A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air. "Why?" asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder. "I'm a panda," he says at the door. "Look it up." The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation. Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.

Get it? Eats...shoots...and leaves instead of eats shoots and leaves.

Okay...so I'm a nerd.

No comments: