Monday, September 22, 2008

No-Cook Tomato Sauce...Who Knew

It's now day 2 of my experiment, and today's dinner was Pasta with No Cook Tomato Sauce. I told Paul before I started this adventure that if the recipe turns out to be something that either one of us really don't like, we don't have to eat it. We can always make a frozen pizza or have a bowl of cereal. I served Paul up a bowl of today's pasta and he ran off to the living room (where we eat most of our meals since it's just the two of us). A minute later, as I was still plating mine, he came back in to get his drink that he forgot to get. He said something like, "So you said we could have pizza or cereal if we didn't like it?" I said yes, although a bit disappointed that he didn't like it and I hadn't even tried it yet. He said, "Good. You have the cereal or pizza, and I'll eat the rest of the pasta...I'll suffer," as he proceeded to try to steal my bowl of the stuff. ihikhik What a stinker.


Review: He liked it a lot. I thought it wasn't too bad. Once again, the fresh herbs aren't making me jump up and down. I'm not a big fan of basil. Maybe it's just that I never cook with fresh herbs and just am not used to the taste. It was a nice break from traditional pasta and tomato sauce. Pasta with any kind of marinara isn't my favorite. I prefer like a light garlic oil, so this was more up my alley. I think this dish can also be called bruschetta pasta, as that's what it made me think of. It was similar to a dish Paul always orders at TGI Fridays...their grilled chicken bruschetta pasta or something like that. Anyway, this one is a keeper.

For dessert (I know...can you believe it) I made peach cobbler made with Splenda, which was a surprise to Paul to see when he came home from work. Boy was it a hit! He loved it. Whenever Abby eats something she particularly loves, she gets all excited and rolls around on the floor and moans. I was beginning to think Paul was going to start doing the same thing! I think he was just excited to get a dessert that he felt he can have without feeling so guilty. The recipe wasn't totally without sugar or carbs, but it could have been a lot worse...seeing how it called for a cup of sugar. Yikes!


Tomorrow's dinner: Pork stir-fry over jasmine rice. Wish me luck!

No comments: