Thursday, November 23, 2006

Who Wants to Know?

Welcome to the 2006 Holiday Edition of Getting to Know Your Friends! I've received quite a few of these in my inbox, so I thought I might as well post the answers here!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate. I don’t do eggnog. There is something about the taste of nutmeg that I don’t like. Of course I haven’t had any in years…maybe my tastes have changed. Maybe I’ll try it again this year. But then again, doesn’t it contain an awful lot of calories??

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps them, of course…or maybe that’s Mrs. Claus’s job.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I like both white and colored, but Paul likes white; therefore, we have white.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope...isn't it poisonous?!

5. When do you put your decorations up? Well, the plan this year is to do it the Friday after Thanksgiving. As Mr. and Mrs. Procrastinator, though, we will see if that happens.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I think I will have to go with the main dish on this one…be it turkey, ham, roast or whatever.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Spending every other Christmas Eve with Aunt Alberta’s family. I remember returning home from their house one Christmas Eve…and it always seemed far away even though I’m sure it wasn’t…and looking up out the back window of the car and seeing a tiny red light up in the sky. I thought for sure that must be Rudolph.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t remember what age I was, but I was in grade school. I remember standing outside before school started in the morning and overhearing some boy telling his friends. Yeah...I didn't like him too much.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes…Paul usually talks me into it.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
Funny that should be one of the questions. We just went out tonight to buy new ornaments. A lot of our ornaments were ruined when our basement flooded because of a burst pipe a couple of years ago. We haven’t put our tree up since, so it hasn’t been an issue, but we both really want to put it up this year, so we had to buy new ornaments. We…rather I…struggled with the choice of color. In the past we went with blue and silver, which we both liked a lot. This year, because of the whole Northwoods “theme” in our living room, I thought maybe we should go with more traditional colors…maybe red and gold. So what did we come home with? Blue and silver, of course. I do have a bunch of ornaments that I’ve collected over the years that pretty much survived the flood, so we’ll be using those too.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? If it were up to me, it would snow on Christmas Eve and all melt as soon as I have to go back to work. Fresh-fallen snow is beautiful; however, once it gets all dirty, it can just go away.

12. Can you ice skate? No…never have and never plan to now after my knee surgery. Have you ever fallen on the ice? Yes…who hasn’t? I remember being in ninth grade and coming out of school and slipping on some ice. I thought for sure I broke my elbow. That, I think, was my first trip to the ER.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I can't really think of a "favorite." I remember asking for and receiving a Spirograph quite a few years in a row because I would lose the pieces. I wonder if you can still buy those??

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Remembering the real reason for the season.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Sugar cookies.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? After decorating the tree, which usually doesn’t get started until late at night, I like to sit there by the light of the tree with the room lights off just looking at the tree and all the sparkling ornaments feeling at peace and knowing how lucky I am.

17. What tops your tree? A Precious Moments angel that mom fashioned using netting from my wedding veil.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving. Come on...who is really going to answer receiving here.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Even though it’s not technically a Christmas song but rather is from the Sound of Music, My Favorite Things is one of my favorites. I think it has pretty much evolved into a Christmas song over the years. I had an old cassette of Christmas songs by Kenny Rogers that is one of my favorites, and that song is on it. As far as traditional Christmas songs, I would have to go with White Christmas.

20. Candy Canes....Yuck or Yum? Hmmmm…that’s a tough one. If I do eat them, it has to be either the traditional red and white striped peppermint one (and then I prefer just the mini ones) or the wild cherry flavored ones. I do like to use them to stir hot chocolate, though. It’s fun watching it totally disintegrate when you put it in the hot liquid, and giving the hot chocolate a peppermint flavor is oh so yummy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: