Sunday, May 13, 2007

Double Duty

As I said in my last post, I needed to get busy and make mom a Mother's Day card before she came over for dinner. I was struggling to come up with something really special. I started surfing my favorite blogs for inspiration and came across a sketch challenge hosted by Beate Johns on her blog, Fresh and Fun to celebrate 20,000 hits. Wow! She is THE stamping queen...a remarkably talented lady. She's a moderator on Splitcoast and does a lot of their tutorials. I honestly don't know how she finds the time. Anyway, I really liked the sketch, so I decided to give it a go. I normally don't enter challenges like this. As a matter of fact, this is my first one!

Would you believe that this is my first ever square card?! I'm so stuck in a rut of 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 inch cards. I found a package of 6 x 6 clear envies that I didn't even know I had (see what happens when you organize!), so Beate's sketch inspired me to go for it! This card is a mix of a bunch of different things...a potpourri if you will. For the focal image, I borrowed mom's Roses In Winter set once again (boy, I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of that while it's in my possession). The flowers were cut out using the Cricket (also mom's...but I made these a while back). The gems in the middle of the flowers came from the Target Dollar Spot a while back. Here are the details:

Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Paper: Provocraft (purple) and Creative Memories (orange)
Stamps: SU Roses In Winter, CTMH Elegant Script
Ink: SU Vintage Violet and Mellow Moss, CTMH Autumn Terracotta.
Accessories: Making Memories bookplate, embroidery floss, die cut flowers, gems, SU slit punch (for scallop).

I think that about sums it up.

Thanks, Beate, for the inspiration to try something new!

Mom, I'm glad you liked it! Happy Mother's Day once again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, thanks so much for your kind words and for playing! I absolutely love the card you made. It's gorgeous.

Gail Binette said...

You must do square cards more, this is lovely. Love the colors and style.