Thursday, November 20, 2008

O Christmas Tree, O Christmas Tree

How lovely are thy branches.

What do you think about my Christmas tree? I know you can't actually see it yet, but you'll be able to someday. Right now it's just a tiny seed. Give it about 20 years or so and it will be a beautiful blue spruce. That is if I don't forget to water it, and transplant it, and feed it, and nurture it.

I found this little kit in the Dollar Spot at Target yesterday. It contained everything needed to grow your own Christmas tree...all for a buck, so I thought why not? I could use a project. It even came with it's very own little pot and clump of dirt. Granted the pot is only 2 inches tall, but it's plenty big enough for the 5 little seeds. I'm supposed to transplant it when it gets 3 inches tall. I wonder how long that will take.

Getting it started was pretty interesting. The dirt came as a little clump about the size of a quarter and about 1/4-inch deep. The directions said to put it in a bowl and add 1/16-cup of water. I added the water and it just sucked it up like a sponge and grew and grew to about 10 times the size it started as. It was crazy! Then I had to transfer the dirt to the pot, add the seeds, and cover them with 1/8-inch of the dirt. I have to say it was kind of fun. Guess we'll see what happens! senyumkenyit

No comments: