Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Miracle of Friendship

Approximately August 22, 1980. ..27 years ago today. That is a wild guess. I was 11 years old and it was the first day of 6th grade...my first day of middle school. I remember sitting all by myself on the bleachers in the gym. I think it was gym class, but I'm getting older so the exact details are starting to fade. It seems as though everyone knows everyone else. I'm shy. I feel like I don't know anybody. I switched schools in the middle of 2nd grade, and because I was so shy, I never really formed any strong childhood friendships. One girl approaches. She tells me she remembers me from kindergarten. Seriously? I'm only 11 years old and already my memory is shot because I don't remember her. However, I was painfully shy even back in kindergarten.

Who knows if it was actually August 22nd. That's just the day we picked to celebrate. On that day so long ago, me and the girl who remembered me from kindergarten became best friends 4-ever.

Even though we don't see each other nearly as often as we should (even though we still live in the same town) we both know without out a doubt that we would be there for each other on a moment's notice.

Happy 27th Friendship Anniversary, Sheila! I love ya like a sister!

The Miracle of Friendship

There's a miracle called friendship
That dwells within the heart,
And you don't know how it happens
Or how it gets its start...
But the happiness it brings you
Always gives a special lift,
And you realize that friendship
Is God's most precious gift!
- B.J. Morbitzer

1 comment:

Gail Binette said...

How very precious Monica. Happy BFF Anniversary!